First Division Round-Up

Credit: UCD

UCD, who many observers didn’t give much chance to, had a superb 4-0 win over a hugely disappointing Shelbourne side to go top of the table after two successive victories.

The students were at it from kick-off, something which can’t be said of Shels, and had the game won after just half an hour.

Gary O’Neill’s speculative effort from distance on seven minutes flashed past Shelbourne keeper before he knew it.

Ten minutes later and O’Neill’s corner was headed in at the near post by Liam Scales for 2-0.

Another header, just moments later by Georgie Kelly, made it 3-0 before Gary O’Neill’s penalty sealed the game.

It was a terrible display by Shelbourne, especially in the first half. Two substitutions by Heary after the third goal did make a difference, however by then it was much too late.

Heary slated his players, calling the display an absolute disgrace, in an interview after the game.

Speaking to us after the match UCD manager Collie O’Neill said, “It was a good win for us but one we won’t be getting carried away with.”

Athlone celebrate Credit: Sean Dempsey

In Ferrycarrig Park, Athlone Town continued their impressive winning start to the season with a 2-1 win over Wexford FC.

Wexford, coming off a 1-1 draw in Cobh, started much the better side with chances for Mark Slater, Lee Duffy and Craig Wall, but Athlone keeper Igor Labuts was alive to the danger.

On thirty-four minutes it was the away side who went in front, as Portuguese defender José Viegas scored from Niall Scullion’s Cross.

Athlone doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time, with Scullion again the provide. This time it was to supply the cross for Colm Coss to smash a header in off the crossbar.

On the hour mark Wexford deservedly got back into the game. Some good work between O’Connor and Hurley down the left, before the ball eventually reached Ricky Fox on the edge of the penalty area. Fox let fly with an unstoppable effort to beat Labuts.

Wexford piled on the pressure after that in the hope of finding an equaliser. However Athlone’s defence stood firm throughout and held on for their second successive victory.

Athlone manager Colin Fortune was delighted with the win, “It was a great result for us to get in Wexford Friday evening. We have been struggling recently in getting results away from home so it was pleasing that we started this campaign with a good away win.”

Wexford’s Damian Locke told us afterwards, “Obviously we are all very disappointed with the result as we dominated for long periods of the game.”

Patrick McClean & David McDaid Credit: Waterford United

Waterford got their season back on track after a disappointing opening day defeat in Athlone, by beating Cabinteely 3-0 in front of a big crowd at the RSC.

Cabinteely were without their captain Daire Doyle, after a foot injury picked up in a pre-season game against Finn Harps. Doyle managed to get through last week’s game against UCD after taking painkillers and anti-inflammatory’s but that couldn’t be sustained.

Waterford made three changes to their team, and that looked to be the difference, as all there’s goals came from two of them.

Striker David McDaid headed them in front after just four minutes after a super cross from Kenny McEvoy.

Cabinteely had a couple of chances themselves through Kieran Marty Waters, before Anthony McAlavey scored a real belter from over 20 yards out.

McEvoy and Mark O’Sullivan were combining very well for the home side, and both were involved in setting up McDaid for his second on the night, and Waterfords third, when finished neatly at the near post.

First-team coach John Frost, speaking to the club’s website, was very impressed with striker David McDaid saying, “David McDaid was excellent tonight, he was fantastic for his second goal, the goal that really put the game to bed.”

Ian Mylod scores Credit: Tiernan Dolan

Cobh Ramblers were 3-1 winners over a very disappointing Longford Town team at the City Calling Stadium on Saturday evening.

A very poor crowd was in attendance to see Alan Matthews promotion candidates, and on this performance the crowds won’t be rushing back.

However, nothing should take away from the performance of Stephen Henderson’s side. They were superb on the night.

Missing striker Ross Mann, due to illness,  Cobh were the better side from the off. Midfielder Karl Caulfield was causing the Longford defence all sorts of problems, and should have scored in the first-half with the chances he created.

However, he did get the goal his performance deserved just short of the hour mark. He let fly from all of 25 yards out, and beat goalkeeper Paul Skinner all ends up.

Ian Mylod made it 2-0 just minutes later when he beat the offside trap and slot the ball beyind Skinner.

Substitute Kyle McNamara made it 3-0 to Ramblers with ten minutes left, when he got on the end of Stephen Christopher’s cross to head home his first senior goal for the club.

A late goal from Chris Mulhall was no great consolation for Longford, as they head to a very impressive Athlone Town next weekend in the Derby.

Speaking to Cobh boss Stephen Henderson afterwards, he was full of praise for his charges, “We were exceptionally disciplined tonight. Every player done their job and we fully deserved the win. I’m thrilled for the lads.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: