Under 19 League Round-Up (Week 6)

Into week 6 of the League of Ireland’s Under 19 league and there were some very interesting results over the weekend. Bohemians surprised many with a thumping victory over a previously unbeaten Sligo Rovers, while there were big wins for Limerick, Shamrock Rovers, Cobh, St Patrick’s Athletic and Cork City while Athlone Town won their first game of the season.

Bohemians came away from a long trip West with all three points after a big 4-1 over Sligo Rovers. Goals from Cian Fay, Ryan Graydon, Patrick Kirk and JR Wilson helped Bohs to victory.

Sligo manager Brian Dorrian gave praise to the visitors after, “To be fair Bohs played really well and pressed us all over the pitch, and they deserved to take the lead with a great finish.”

“We were caught napping for the next two goals, but to be fair Bohs did really well. We had a couple of chances but didn’t take them, and conceded a bad fourth and that was the game over.”

“We did manage to pull a goal back but we weren’t nearly as good as the opposition. It was just an off day for us I hope. We move on to Longford next week which will be a different challenge on its own.”

Bohemians boss Graham Lawlor was very pleased, “We were very happy with the result, but more importantly about the team performance on the day. We beat Longford two weeks ago but felt we were off the pace and only played well in small spells of the game.”

“Sligo came into the game on the back of four straight wins, and from reports we heard they are a side that likes to get it down and play.”
“In the game we pressed high as a team and I just felt on the day we won our individual battles all over the pitch.”

“Once again Cian Fay got on the scoresheet with a superb half volley from 20 yards out, and Ryan Graydon then lobbed the keeper to give us a 2 goal lead.”

“Our third goal from Patrick Kirk was a major one because of the timing of it, just two minutes before half time, and psychologically that knocked any hopes Sligo had staging a comeback.”

“JR Wilson added a fourth in the second half, which was pleasing because he missed a few from set plays against longford two weeks ago.”

“After the game as a group we spoke about consistency in our performances now and the ultimate aim for each player is to keep knocking on the door of the first team, and when the chance arrives that they are ready, and play with the same level of self belief as they did yesterday.”

Shamrock Rovers beat Galway United 4-0 in Tallaght Stadium. Luke Rossiter scored twice in the game with James Doona and Aaron Dobbs also finding the net.

That game also saw 15 year-old goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu make his debut for the Under 19’s. He became the youngest ever player to play for the club at Under 19 level. We spoke to him after the game, and you can check out that interview by clicking here

Shamrock Rovers manager Aidan Price said, “Really good performance, especially in the first half. We scored in the first minute with a great cross in from Doona, and Aaron Dobbs finishing with a good header.”

When asked about both Doona and Dobbs, Price said “James Doona is an extremely talented footballer with wonderful dribbling ability and great balance.”

“Aaron Dobbs is an out and out goalscorer who can score all different types of goals.”

Galway’s Nigel Keady said, “It was a difficult game for us. Unfortunately we went behind within the first minute and we found it difficult to re-focus for a period of time. Rovers deserve credit for their performance.”

“Our defensive organisation was poor at times and with 8 changes to the team from the previous week that could be expected.”

“As a group of staff and players we will analyse the match and keep improving and look forward to the match against UCD this weekend.”

Cobh Ramblers moved within a point of Southern Elite Division leaders UCD with a 2-1 victory over Cabinteely in Stradbrook. Goals from Darren Murphy and Killian Murphy had them 2-0 up, only for a penalty from Jordan Andre to make it an interesting finish. However, Ramblers held on to take the points.

Cabinteely goalkeeper Sean Hyland did save a first half penalty. We spoke to him after the game and asked him about it.

“I think the initial decision for the penalty was poor. It was given for a hand-ball which our player could have done nothing about, and it was a harsh. As for the penalty save itself, it’s always good to save them and it’s always a massive confidence boost for a keeper.”

“On the whole the match was of a decent standard, although we didn’t play to our full potential and it showed.”

“I think the heat and weather took its toll on a few of the lads. Take nothing from them Cobh lads though, they fought well for the full 90 minutes and done well to see out the game.”

“For us it’s back to hard work in training and look forward to Bray on Saturday, ” said Hyland

Cobh manager Declan Coleman was delighted afterwards, “Its a great win, and we’re delighted to pick up three points on the road.”

Gordon Walker celebrated his birthday in style, with a goal and Coleman was thrilled for him, “Very happy for Gordon to get himself off the mark for the season, and yeah it’s a nice birthday present for him.”

“Two penalties in the game, unfortunately their keeper made a good save from our one,”laughed Coleman.

“But the most important thing is we reacted well to that and went on to take the lead and win the game.”

“It would have been nice to have been a bit more clinical and put away a few more chances, but overall the performance was excellent. We played some really nice football at times and I felt we defended well for the most part too.”

“Unfortunately Eoin Davis had to come off early on with an injury and we hope that it isn’t too serious. Especially when we had Patrick Crowley and Matt Lambe out injured today too.”

“But that meant an opportunity in midfield for Killian Murphy, and he did very well and capped his performance with a great goal from the edge of the box so I was delighted for him as well.”

Cabinteely’s John Paul Kelly said, “It was a good game on a very hot day. I thought the lads worked really hard and after getting back into the game at 2-1 we had a good chance to equalise.”

“Disappointed with penalty given against us, it was never a penalty in the first place. But Sean Hyland made a really good save from it and kept us in the game.”

“Cobh played well and are a well organised team so credit to them they defended well. We will get back out training tomorrow night and work hard at our game and move on to the next match.”

Dundalk beat Finn Harps 4-0 to go second behind Sligo Rovers in the Northern Elite Division. We spoke to Harps boss Joe Boyle after the game, and he said Dundalk were the better side, “Dundalk were good value for their victory today. We made individual and collective errors that was punished by Dundalk. They were excellent.”

“It has been a difficult few weeks at the club with injured players. It has filtered from the first team down and has hit both the U19’s and U17’s. But this is not an excuse as it would only take away from the quality of Dundalk’s play.”

“This will be a key week as we try to prepare for our next match against St Pat’s next weekend.”

“In defeat we can take great encouragement from our second half recovery as we were facing a struggle after the first half. The players battled hard to wrestle control of the game from a dominant Dundalk.”

A very late goal from Aaron Drinan secured a 1-0 victory for Cork over Bray Wanderers as they moved to the top of the table alongside UCD. For Bray, the remain winless at this level this season.

Bray boss Marc Kenny was very disappointed afterwards, “This is a really tough one to take. I must say each and everyone to a man were fantastic. Every player gave 110% against a very good Cork side. Just to lose it in the 93rd minute I really felt for my players.”

“The lads are still learning and developing so this result will go down a a huge learning curve. We even had a couple of decent chances to win it ourselves in the second half. Our 16 year old keeper Malachy Doyle was magnificent, along with Cormac Kelly and Dion Agbonze giving Cork a few problems.”

St Patrick’s Athletic beat Monaghan/Cavan 5-0 with five different goalscorers, Jamie Lennon, Kyle Hogan, William McAdams, Aidan Keena and George Mukete.

St Pats manager Garrett Dodrill said, “Yeah decent win today, and performance and attitude was much improved on the previous game.”

“We started brightly and missed a few half chances before Jamie Lennon put us in front with a super strike from 25 yards out into the top corner.”

“We dropped off a bit and stopped doing what we should have been doing and allowed Cavan back into the game, and they could have got back into it with a few chances of their own.”

“Kyle Hogan made it 2-0 before half time with a well taken goal on the break assisted by Jason Grouse. We were more in control in the second half and got another 3 goals. William McAdams with the pick of them scoring into the top corner from 20 yards out before Aidan Keena and George Mukete scored.”

“We got a little sloppy at times and we need too improve in the final third but it was pleasing to see the players react to the last game and give a better performance today.”

“We need to add some consistency to our game now and kick on and perform in the next three games before the break which won’t be easy. If the workrate and attitude are there we should be ok.”

Athlone Town registered their first win of the season after a 2-0 win over Shelbourne. It was a much needed victory for the midlands club after a tough week. You can read reaction from that game by clicking here

Derry City won an entertaining tussle with Drogheda United 2-1 to move themselves up the table into 8th spot.

Derry City’s John Quigg said it was a good day, “A very even match which could have went either way, played on a super pitch in Derry between two very good teams.”

“We took the lead on 17 minutes from a Ronan wilson cross. A mix-up in the Drogheda defence ended up with the ball in the net from their own defender.”

“Drogheda came more into the game and scored a deserved equaliser on the half-hour mark. Both keepers made a couple of important saves to make it 1-1 at half-time.”

“We started off the second half at a high tempo, but had to wait until the 85th minute to score the winner. A great ball played by Cathal Farren sent Matt Duffy down the line, and his cross was meet by Shane McNamee to make it two one.”

“It was a very good game of football. We now have two wins in our last two games and we’re trying to play at a high tempo, so a good day for Derry.”

Drogheda’s Derek Boyle was happy enough with the performance but obviously disappointed with the result saying, “It was a very though game yesterday, with the weather very hot and a very big pitch. I felt there wasn’t much between the two sides.”

“The game had a good pace to it from start to finish with both sides continously trying to attack. We cancelled each other out most of the time and both sides worked hard to create goal scoring opportunities.”

“Derry’s first goal came when they broke down our right hand side and then crossed the ball, only for our centre back to unfortunately head it into our own goal.”

“Our equaliser came through some good play, where James Carroll played the ball into the middle of the park to Nathan Seery, who then played an unbelievable penatrating pass to split their right full and centre back, for Lee Partridge to run onto and put it past the oncoming keeper.”

“Sam Reilly hit the side netting just before half time, and Lee Partridge hit a free kick which the keeper saved, then spilt and then made a great double save from Stephan Meaney on the rebound.”

“Their wide left was a constant treat and came inside and curled a shot just passed the post.”

“In the second half Sean Tunney had a free header from a corner which he put over the bar. Dylan Sweeney who was back from injury, made 3 or 4 good saves in the second half, including a point blank reflex save in the last few minutes.”

“Ten mins from the end we lost possession on the left hand side, then Derry broke down the wing and crossed the ball for them to score with a great finish.”

“In the dying moments Lee McGuinness ran through on goal and made the wrong decision to try and square it rather then to shoot, and Derry cleared.”

“Over all there wasn’t much in the game. I was happy with the performance in the match, but obviously dissappointed with the result as I felt a draw would have been a fair result.”

Photo Credits;

Stephen Burke(Bohemians)

St Patrick’s Athletic FC

Cobh Ramblers FC

Shamrock Rovers FC

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: