Under 19 League Round-Up (Southern Elite Division)

Cobh Ramblers leap-frogged UCD to go top of the Southern Elite Division after a come from behind victory at St Coleman’s Park.

UCD led 1-0 heading into the final ten minutes, however two superb goals from Dean Swords, his second of the week, and a brilliant goal from Dave Hurley sealed the win for Declan Coleman’s side.

Cobh’s Declan Coleman was delighted and told us afterwards, “Absolutely thrilled with the win. It’s very pleasing to be going in to the break top of the league as well.”

“We didn’t have the best of starts today and UCD were by far the better team in the opening 35 minutes of the game. We had a good spell to end the first half though and needed to build on that in the second.”

“We definitely came out stronger after half time, and I felt we were the better team for most of the second half. We gave away a poor goal but as you might have seen we got two fantastic goals to win the game.”

You can check out both of Cobh’s goals here;

Dean Swords goal

Dave Hurley’s winning goal, and it a cracker;

“Our football was very good in the second half as well as our defensive shape and composure both attacking and defending.”

“The whole squad played their part today, and as well as it being a very good team performance in the second half, Dean and Dave got 2 excellent goals and Dave’s one in particular was definitely worthy of winning any game.”

UCD manager Maciej Tarnogrodzki took full responsibility for the defeat, “Very disappointing to lose the game in injury time. I think a draw would have been a fair result, but also we should have got to the line leading 1-0 with around ten minutes left.”

“For sure I didn’t expect us to lose the match. It’s very small margin sometimes between winning and losing. Football usually is a fair game and at the end of the season good and bad luck mostly are balancing out. On Sunday Cobh had a wonder strike from 30 yards to win a game in closing moments.”

“I take responsibility for that defeat because I think one or two tactical decisions could have been made better to manage the game out at the end of the match.”

“On the match itself, I thought we controlled the first half slightly better then Cobh. We had probably five corners and a couple of free kicks in good wide positions, plus we created one clear cut chance but missed the target.”

“I don’t think Cobh had any good chances in the first half, but also with the quality we have in offence we should have created a bit more.”

“The second half started very similar and then we scored in the 62nd minute after Luka Lovic won the ball after good pressing and he took his chance very well.”

“For the most part we managed the game well, but Cobh were applying more pressure and had a couple of good crosses from wide areas. The equalising goal was very much preventable because that was another strike from the distance.”

“That injected some energy into the Cobh players, but I felt both teams were trying to win it. Then in the final couple of minutes the game died out until that wonder strike.”

“We’ve had a decent enough first round of games, but after the break we have plenty of things to improve and lots of hard work in front of us. We’ll have Neil Farrugia back from injury, after missing the whole of the round of games, and that will give us more attacking options as well.”

Limerick moved into fourth in the table after a 2-0 win at home to Cabinteely, with Ger Barry and Colm Walsh O’Loghlen getting the goals.

Limerick’s Tommy Barrett was delighted to win the game saying, “A great win considering we were without so many players through injury and illness. Tomas O’Connor did very well at centre back again, considering he has just turned 16 and played 90 minutes for the U-17’s in Waterford on Saturday.”

“We dominated the first half and scored an excellent goal from Ger Barry after great work by William Fitzgerald on the right. We created numerous other chances through Adam Foley, Colm Walsh O’Loghlen, Alan Murphy and Karl O’Sullivan all going close and the Cabo keeper pulling off some excellent saves.”

“Cabinteely started the 2nd half much brighter and were the better team for the first 15 minutes. We got a second against the run of play at that stage with a great individual goal from Colm Walsh O’Loghlen.”

“We played well again for the last 20 minutes and created numerous chances through Adam Foley, Dylan Kelly Higgins and Bradley McNamara hitting the post after a great individual run.”

“Overall it was a very good team performance and we finished the game with five U-17’s which Is very pleasing.”

Cabinteely’s John Paul Kelly said, “Disappointed with our first half performance. We lost possession of the ball at times very easily and made it very hard for ourselves to get into the game . At half time we sorted a few things out and I thought we played some really good stuff second half . It was a good match Limerick played well and scored at key times in the match .

Bray Wanderers had a last minute winner from Connal Flood to thank for their 2-1 win over Galway United.

Bray’s Marc Kenny said, “Nice to get two wins back to back, as it gives our lads a really good feel factor going into the break.”

“This was a really exciting game with both teams having a go. Even speaking to Nigel (Galway manager) we were both fairly happy with our teams attitude.”

“We had a chance cleared off the line and they go down and score. Then in the second half they hit the post and we equalise.”

“To score in the last minute to win the game was something we have been on the end of previously, so I think we deserved a bit of luck.”

“A really decent game in difficult conditions could have went either way, but once again a great improvement in our players and also a great appetite to learn.”

Galway’s Nigel Keady said, “A disappointing result based on our first half performance. Added to that we struck the post twice in the 2nd half and conceded a late winning goal.”

“Good performances from some of our younger players including Oisin O’Sullivan and Aaron Leggett was a real positive.”

“From a football perspective the players will soon be able to focus on their football after they complete their leaving cert exams. We have a high number sitting these and it has been difficult for them the last number of weeks.”

Bottom clubs Waterford and Wexford played out a scoreless draw in their game at the RSC.

The game was ruined early on, as Waterford’s Tunmise Sobowake was sent off in just the second minute of the game for serious foul play.

Wexford manager Thomas O’Connor, “We got a point against a very well organised Waterford side. They saw the dismissal of one of their players very early in the game which changed the set up for both us and them.”

“We took a while to get into the game and to find the space to create overloads with the extra player, once we did we saw an awful lot of the ball but everything was in front of Waterford’s 10 men.”

“Cian Doyle, Dean George, Vinny Quinlan and Yaw Aboagye all had chances from distance, but we failed overall to make the extra player count in the game and it finished 0-0. On the over all outlook Waterford deserve a lot of credit for containing us and also having a few chances of their own, but we will feel it’s a missed opportunity to pick up 3 points on the road.”

“I’m very happy with the clean sheet and we have our back four and keeper to thank for that, as they had to step in on a number of occasions to nullify good counter attacks from Waterford. Martin O’Connor was outstanding for us again today as was Cian Doyle before he suffered an injury.”

Unfortunately the game between Shamrock Rovers and Cork City was called off due to a flooded pitch, after some very heavy rain on Sunday Morning in Dublin.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: